[ltp] Re: autoresponders and reply-to

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 06:10:01 +1000

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:51:56PM +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Bob Alexander wrote:
>
> >Rest assured we are. We are only trying to make some fun of this otherwise
> >annoying situation and meanwhile learning new things !
> >
> >Bob
>
> Phew :)  The list owner has cut James loose now, so it should be
> over.

Until next time...

Yes, it's a religious issue, but it's also a fact that reply-to munging
(i.e. the list trying to force all replies, including private replies
back to the list) breaks with stupid autoresponders, including the ones
from IBM (irony, irony...)

This problem will not go away until everyone uses some sensible
autoresponders (good luck)
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/autoresponders.txt
or until this list stops redirecting all replies back to the list (it
also have the very annoying property that I don't get a direct copy of
replies to my posts and don't see the said replies until much later, so
I can't even properly help people)
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.html

I'm not holding my breath, but you can't blame me for hoping. In the
meantime, all list loops, embarrassing private replies sent back to the
list, and replies to posts that get missed to the original sender due to
lack of Cc, are all problems directly linked to the list's unfortunate
reply-to munging, so please blame this if those issues bug you too.

Marc