[ltp] Shutdown a ThinPadR51 doesn't work.

Ignacio Fernández Galván linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:18:17 +0200

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:16:42 +0200, Xabi Feal <xabigf@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello, I have a little problem with a ThinkPad R51 with Debian Sarge. I
> have installed acpi and recompiled the kernel with the most suitable
> options I have found on the net. However, when I try to shutdwon the
> computer, it turns off hard disk operations and LCD, as usual, but it
> doesn't turn off the computer, as fan continues working. I need to
> manual turn off the computer by clicking on the power button for a long
> time.

I had the same problem, try passing "nolapic" to the kernel or compile it
with no local apic support (whatever that's called in the config). My
problem was automatically solved with the unmodified latest kernel for
Mandrake 10.1 (2.6.8-12mdk), though, so I don't remember exactly... It's
possible that "nolapic" didn't work but I had to re-compile the kernel
without local apic.

If I remember correctly, suspending to disk did work and it stopped all
activity, so it could be a workaround if you find the power button issue
too annoying.