[ltp] Shutdown a ThinPadR51 doesn't work.

Gijs Hillenius linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:35:36 +0200

     > Hello, I have a little problem with a ThinkPad R51 with Debian
     > Sarge. I have installed acpi and recompiled the kernel with the
     > most suitable options I have found on the net. However, when I
     > try to shutdwon the computer, it turns off hard disk operations
     > and LCD, as usual, but it doesn't turn off the computer, as fan
     > continues working. I need to manual turn off the computer by
     > clicking on the power button for a long time.

     > I would appreciate some hints about this problem and its
     > possible solutions.

Hi!

I use debian testing, with a standard 2.6.8-1-686 kernel,  acpid
1.0.4-1, thinkpad-modules 5.8-1+2.6.8-10,ipw2100-module
1.1.0-1+2.6.8-686, and have
/etc/acpi/bowerbutn.sh containing:
-----
#!/bin/sh
# /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
# Initiates a shutdown when the power putton has been
# pressed.

if ps -Af | grep -q '[k]desktop' && test -f /usr/bin/dcop
then
    dcop --all-sessions --all-users ksmserver ksmserver logout 0 2 0 && exit 0
else
    /sbin/shutdown -h now "Power button pressed"
fi
-----

and in this setup, switching off with the powerbutton works charming...

Cheers

Gijs

--
< Overfiend> whew.
< Overfiend> I really need to get some sleep.