[ltp] Release/renew ip address on T21?

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:07:27 +0100

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 10:17:50PM -0400, Crispian Thorne wrote:
> I'm using Libranet 3.0 (Debian-based, 2.6.11, ACPI etc.) on a Thinkpad
> T21 with a Sony-Ericsson GC79 card using ndiswrapper. WiFi works great,
> but I often move around between networks (and access points) and have
> problems trying to connect to a new network I've moved into.
>=20
> My home is in the basement of the church where I work, and I have a
> network there "Homestarrunner"- ch. 11, and up in the church I have
> another different network with a both a master access point "Marzipan"-
> ch. 11, and another router with DHCP etc. turned off as another access
> point "wwjd" on Ch. 9.
>=20
> I can connect absolutely fine to any of the three if I boot within their
> range, a simple "ifup wlan0" brings it right up. The problem comes when
> I move from one to another- the computer hangs onto whatever ip address
> it originally got, and this will not work within another's range. (And
> I've tried naming the two that are on the same network the same- still
> won't work). What I need to be able to do is force it to drop it's ip
> address and go look for another DHCP lease.
>=20
> A simple "ifdown wlan0" "ifup wlan0" won't do it,

That's surprising.  It should, if you have selected DHCP for this
network device.  What's in your /etc/network/interfaces file?

You can always do "killall dhclient3; dhclient3 wlan0" to do things
manually.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Bumper sticker: If you can read this, I can hit my brakes and sue you.

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5

--CUfgB8w4ZwR/yMy5--