[ltp] Re: Dual Output Displays

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:36:28 -0400

On 4/23/05, Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:
> On 2005-04-19, Ron Joffe <rjoffe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > My docking station for my A31, and my port replicator for my T20 both h=
ave an
> > analog and a digital video output. So I was thinking that I might be ab=
le to
> > replicate the Dell XPS trick utilizing a newer thinkpad with a port
> > replicator, and getting both outputs of the port replicator to provide =
dual
> > video outputs.
> >
> > So my question is, has anybody tried this? Is this a feasible configura=
tion
> > using any thinkpad? I tried it with mine, but no luck. Any suggestions?
>=20
> Ron,
>=20
> I am a new owner of a T20 and have been investigating dual head output
> as well. I recently corresponded with one of the 'savage' driver
> authors, who confirmed that 'dual head' is possible with the T20, which
> he also happens to use himself.

That'd be me.

>=20
> However, it seems to involve getting the right savage driver version,
> and compiling it along with some other dependencies. I know it's
> possible, but I also came here to get some help for it. :)
>=20

You can either download xorg cvs HEAD or grab one of the nightly
binary snapshots here:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download#head-55420c59a1c2e9a70f07a6fa02f0d=
228ffb87b76

> I will share details here when I get it working, although I have more
> pressing issues to work through first.
>=20

The only issue I have run into is that XAAScreentoScreenCopy doesn't
work right on crtc2 in depth 24.  I'll commit a fix to xorg cvs soon,
but for now, you'll need to disable that accel routine if you want to
use dualhead in depth 24 or you'll get corruption. See the xorg.conf
man page for more on how to disable XAA routines.

Alex