[ltp] Hard drive and battery problems before 2nd birthday

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:56:59 -0400 (EDT)

> Not exactly linux related (unless it is possible that linux
> exasperated the problems?), but about a month before my Thinkpad
> t40p's 2nd birthday, I have an extended life battery that no longer
> holds a charge and a hard drive that is in the process of failing.

	Check out my diary entry on this exact topic:

	http://advogato.org/person/hacker/diary.html?start=177

	My T23 (bought from a frauster on eBay, horror stories are all
over my advogato diary on it), was sent back to IBM a total of 7 times
in less than 18 months for various internal failures, repairs and
malfunctioning parts.

	I've recently upgraded to a T42p with TPP, so hopefully the
amount of repairs will be minimal.

> Is this about par for the course?

	Yes, the batteries are only supposed to last a year, according
to the various people I've spoken to at IBM directly.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com