[ltp] any wireless minipci card on an x30?

Jack McDermot linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 06:18:19 -0400

Howdy!

Just arrived (late I know : ) ) to the world of linux on thinkpads! I bought
a not too old x30 for not too much, and it was much easier to set everything
up than I had expected. I'm now going to buy a wireless card, and just need
your knowledgeable help on one thing:

- I know my machine has an empty minipci slot; according to ibm, it has an
"ultraconnect antenna" built-in. However, on their website they only list
one card (the intel 2200bg pro) as being compatible with this model. Since
I've got the opportunity to _buy right_, ie get something known to be truly
well supported on linux, I was thinking of getting a card with the atheros
chipset instead. (As a bonus it even supports a third protocol it seems).
So,

Can I expect that a different minipci card will work in my machine? I've
read here (http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/wifi-card-pci-ids.html)
that recent thinkpads such as the x40 have a restriction built into the bios
which keeps them from running with some cards. Does any one know if the x30
is like that? Or better how can _I_ find out?

On the other hand, might there be a problem with the antenna connector being
incompatible?

Advice and past experiences are welcome! : )

/Jack McDermot