Was: Re: [ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

Hugo Santiago Carrer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:15:46 -0300

On 4/26/05, David A. Desrosiers <desrod@gnu-designs.com> wrote:
>=20
> > What issues and experiences have any of you had with Linux on your
> > Thinkpad and IBM's warranties?  Has anyone had a repair issue in
> > which Linux was install (dual boot or only Linux) and IBM give you a
> > problem?  Or do you have to resort to reinstalling windows only
> > before contacting IBM?
>=20
>         My T23 has been back to IBM for hardware repair 7 times total
> in the first 18 months since I purchased it. They replaced the system
> board (4), mini-pci card (1), system board PSU (1), external PSU (1),
> LCD (1), keyboard (2), case (1) and various other innards.
>=20

Hi all,

I'm getting scared from your story up above, I just got a T23 in
almost brand new shape (supposedly). Are
replace-everything-but-the-titanium-cover stories like that common or
is it that you just had bad luck?

CU
Hugo

>         In the time I had it, it would consistently "bake" IDE drives,
> no matter which ones I would put in it. After the first 3 were eaten
> (I bought replacements myself, thinking they were faulty drives), I
> realized it was the laptop itself doing it. It would run so hot that
> it would literally cook the black rubber from the bottom of the laptop
> (which is why they replaced that shell once).
>=20
>         I've since realized that the drives were under warrantee, and
> RMA'd them about 2 months ago, and I've received a few replacements
> back which is nice (so I have spares). The batteries also only hold
> about 2.5 minutes of charge (they're about 20 months old). It only
> runs on AC now.
>=20
>         It still runs exceedingly hot after IBM replaced the external
> power adapter and the case has some stress cracks in key places (near
> the top corner of the ultrabay and down on the left side where the
> pcmcia slots meet the keyboard). Picking up the laptop from underneath
> causes it to flex downward in a VERY exaggerated way. I keep it on a
> desk now and don't travel with it anymore because I don't want to
> short it out by flexing it too much like that.
>=20
>         Overall, my history with IBM repair has been good, save for a
> few small issues where they updated the BIOS (when I specifically told
> them NOT to), breaking apm at one point for me, but overall my luck
> has been good.
>=20
>         I keep a spare 2gb drive that I use to ship in with the laptop
> when it is getting repaired. It has the base OEM Windows install on
> it, and if they want to blow it away and reformat it, they can.
>=20
>         Now that I have a T42p with the full 5-year TPP, I shouldn't
> have any of these issues. <fingers crossed>
>=20
>         Too bad there isn't a lemon law with IBM Thinkpads.
>=20
>=20
> David A. Desrosiers
> desrod@gnu-designs.com
> http://gnu-designs.com
> --
>=20

--=20
Ing. Hugo S. Carrer
Laboratorio de Comunicaciones Digitales UNC
Tel./Fax: +54 351-4334147 Int.105
http://lcd.efn.uncor.edu
-----
Never seem more learned than the people you are with.=20
Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden.=20
Do not pull it out to count the hours,=20
but give the time when you are asked. -Lord Chesterfield