[ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:06:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Tony wrote:

> What issues and experiences have any of you had with Linux on your
> Thinkpad and IBM's warranties?

They didn't mess with it.  Mine's been back twice -- physically broken USB
port (motherboard swap), and a "wouldn't start up" problem which developed
gradually a few days after I got it back; I believe that was the result of a
defective motherboard in the _first_ repair.

> Has anyone had a repair issue in which Linux was install (dual boot or
> only Linux) and IBM give you a problem?

In the "notes" section of the problem description form they send you with
the shipping box, I expressly forbade them from wiping the drive.  I don't
know whether they would have in its absence, but the second time the tech
was making noises about it (for _that_?  it makes no sense).  Mine is dual
boot.

   Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who
   would keep all wine out of the country lest men should be drunk.
                                                 -- Oliver Cromwell