[ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

Andy Schnaendy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:22:14 +0200

Hi!

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	We've had service on Linux-only machines with no trouble.  But
> it's been problems like "BIOS only recognizes one of the 2 DIMMs" or
> "AC power connection intermittent" where it was pretty clearly not
> software related.  This was on-site service; I have no experience with
> mail-in.

Same here, but for mail-in (in Germany): hardware related problems
(display) and several OS on a R32 (Debian, Suse, WinXP). All went smooth
and quick. Not a sound about Linux.

They shouldn't touch the drive with your sensible data anyways unless
it's clearly software or hard drive related. Probably test with
different hard drives or live-CD's anyway, or do you give away user
passwords for them to test the machine (no matter what OS you're
running)? They've been running "IBM Thinkpad PC-Doctor Testprogram"
after replacing an inverter on my laptop and they couldn't log into any
of my OS... At least they said they ran it...

Andy