[ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:21:09 -0400

Tony wrote:
> I have seen a couple of people mention removing the hard drive.  How
> difficult is this?  Is it easy to open up and swap hard drives on some
> models?  I am most interested in the X40.

On most ThinkPads, it's very easy.  For example, on my R31, just remove
one screw and the drive slides right out.

The easiest one I've ever seen, were on the 760 & 750 series, where you
just lifted up the keyboard, grabbed the wire loop and pulled the drive
out.  You could change a drive in seconds.