[ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

François Fleuret linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:45:07 +0200

Hi,

<tony.kruse@gmail.com> wrote on 26 Apr 2005 18:40:14 MET:

> What issues and experiences have any of you had with Linux on your
> Thinkpad and IBM's warranties?  Has anyone had a repair issue in which
> Linux was install (dual boot or only Linux) and IBM give you a
> problem?  Or do you have to resort to reinstalling windows only before
> contacting IBM?

I had to deal with IBM twice for display problems with my 570e, and in
both case I removed the hard-disk before sending it for repair (I
asked them if that was possible before, they just noted on the sending
form that the computer was without HD). Thus I avoid any risk of
having the HD formatted or information leaked.

The side effect is that they had no way to know what OS I was using.

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret                              EPFL - CVLAB/LCN