[ltp] Disk Imaging Software

Andrew Crawford linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:41:38 -0700

Greetings,

The open source Partition Image supports NTFS partitions as well as
other standard formats:

http://partimage.org

Although there is a note on the site about NTFS only having partial
support, I have used it to image and restore dozens of NTFS partitions
(mostly on freshly-installed systems) without incident.

Partition Image is included or available as options for several of the
standard boot disc Linux distributions (including Knoppix).  There is
also one available as an ISO image from the Partition Image site.

I generally back up the MBR (using dd) and partition table (using
sfdisk) separately for a complete restore solution.

Of course, the bit imager g4u (http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/) has already
been mentioned.

Andrew Crawford