[ltp] T40 and USB 2.0

Jason LeBrun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:44:31 -0700

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 06:02:46PM -0700, Jason LeBrun wrote:
>> I'm having no luck getting a USB 2.0 drive to enumerate on my T40 (under
>> 2.6.11-ac1). Has anyone had any success with the ehci_hcd driver on a T40?
>> if so, I'd like to hear about it!

>A bit more details would be nice.
>Is the drive working with USB 1?
>which modules are loaded?
>what happens in /var/log/kern.log when you plug the drive in?

>Sometimes it takes several minutes for the drive to initialize. So:
>tail -f /var/log/kern.log
>plug in
>wait a few minutes.

>Michael

Thanks for the response,

I posted a message earlier with more details, and got no response, so in my
second attempt, I'm just trying to find someone in particular who's
successfully gotten USB 2.0 working on a T40.

Some info:

The drive does work with USB 1 (uhci_hcd)
The drive does not work with ehci_hcd loaded. (Whether ehci_hcd is loaded or
not)
I've already disabled CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UB
I tried disabling ACPI
I've fiddled around with IRQ settings in BIOS, but nothing changes.
Using 2.6.11-ac1 (also tried gentoo-sources 2.6.8, 2.6.11)

I've already checked dmesg, and the result is a constant loop of the
same attempts at enumeration, accompanied by a blinking of the activity light
on the drive, at about 3 Hz. The drive will not initialize because it's not
even enumerating. The messages are posted in an earlier message from me, so I
won't post them again, so if anyone would like to see them, you can refer to
that message.

The non-verbose debug messages just show "device not accepting address" over
and over again. The kernel is receiving interrupts, so that's not the
problem.

I've tried most of the common solutions that can be found on Google, and they
haven't worked, so I think the problem is machine specific... hopefully not
my machine in particular! This is why I'm looking for someone with a T40, in
particular.

Last time I checked, USB 2.0 worked under windows, but I haven't had windows
installed on this thing in months, now.

Jason