[ltp] Mails from ATI about the Suspend-To-Ram problem with fglrx drivers

Nils linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:58:21 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 28. April 2005 00:26 schrieb Michael Hekel:
> Mario Limonciello wrote:
> > Michael, make sure vbetool is in the path for root.  By default, where
> > it was installed for me on gentoo it wasn't in root's path, and I had to
> > force it as such by launching with the path.
>
> Well, vbetool is in root's path. Although it is not working here with
> fglrx, there is still a big advantage using vbetool before and after
> suspending. The xv video works now after wakeup, which is really great
> because it didn't work before I used vbetool.
> On the other hand, I have the impression, that the cpu fan is now more
> often running. Do you also have these feeling?
>
> I have currently not compiled the newest fglrx driver (I'm still on
> 3.x), maybe therefore fglrx didn't profit on vbetool, I will check this
> soon.
>
> Regards,
>    Michael

The fan problem is a known problem,  but ati seems to ignore it. After
resuming the power consumption of the ati card is higher. That's the reason
why you hear your fan more often. (for me it's unusable without AC power)
Nils