[ltp] T42p + acpi + suspend

Jacek Wuwer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:48:53 +0200

Thank you for sharing this experience. I have made some
progress since yesterday, although the major problem still
persists.

I have downloaded a plain 2.6.10 from kernel.org applied
(cleanly) acpi patches and installed it.
The good thing is that hibernate script now works. Both on
battery and AC. The suspend to RAM still produces the error

hda: task_out_intr: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
     task_out_intr: error=0x04 {Drive Status Error}

regarless whether using the hibernate script and configuration
(modofied to use S3) or mine. I have seen this problem while
googling for it, even with releatively recent kernels (2.6.11),
but failed to find either a solution or explanation ...
I will stay with S4 then - whcih is actually much more
important for me.
To switch the LCD on and off I have compiled radeontool from
http://fdd.com/software/radeon/

I guess I have missed the --added-patches switch to make-kpkg.
I can stay with plain kernel for a while though.

What video driver are you using ?
Is there any reason you are using inird ?

Again thanks for help - we can try to diff our .config files.
Can you send me yours (to private e-mail) ?

Jacek

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/kernel-image-2.6.10-1-386

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/kernel-source-2.6.10

> installed both with
> dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.10-1-386_2.6.10-6_i386.deb
> dpkg -i kernel-source-2.6.10_2.6.10-6_all.deb
>
> booted into the new kernel
> unpacked /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2
> made a link
> ln -s /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.10 /usr/src/linux
>
> went into the Makefile and added the date to EXTRAVERSION in
the form of
> yyyymmdd
>
> made a little script
>
> #!/bin/sh
> rev="10.01.Custom"
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfig    # just accept the defaults for now
> make-kpkg --initrd --revision $rev --added-patches suspend2
buildpackage

> then install the new kernel-image with dpkg -i
> boot into the new kernel, and if it runs
>
> install the new source as well
> point /usr/src/linux to it
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make menuconfg
> make
>
> This opens up the source so that you can install
ipw2200-1.0.3 and
> ibm-acpi-0.11. Read the README and INSTALL files
>
> This kernel comes with ibm-acpi-0.8 but the more recent 0.11
is better

> reboot into the custom kernel
> check that /proc/acpi/ibm exist
> ls -l /proc/acpi/ibm
>
> cat /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
>
> this enables Fn keys, although some of them already work
>
> next have a good look at /etc/hibernate and /etc/acpi
> hibernate.conf handles 'hibernate' key Fn F12
> edit it according to the comments, there are 3 different
configs, I am using
> suspend2.
>
> UseSwsusp2 yes
> Reboot no
> EnableEscape yes
> defaultConsoleLevel 1
> suspendDevice swap:dev/hda5    # edit to match
>
> in global set
> SaveClock yes
> Loadmodules auto
> DownInterfaces auto
> UpInterfaces auto
> SwitchToTextMode yes
> LogVerbosity 4
> and set where the log goes
>

> /etc/hibernate/sleep.conf handles sleep mode Fn F4
> UseACPISleep 3
>
> same global settings as above except
> OnResume 20 /etc/acpi/actions/battery.sh   # still playing
with this

> UseSysfsPowerState mem works as well
>

> Fn F3 runs /etc/acpi/actions/blank.sh
>
> I added Option "dpms" to the "Monitor" section
in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

> Not working for me yet, dpms does not appear to be supported
using xset,
> although RADEON swallows it happily, or says it does in
dmesg.

> I also added ibm-acpi and synaptics to /etc/modules
> ibm-synaptics is a debian package, it made the touchpad work
a lot better

> Of the 3, sleep mode works well, though I'm still testing,
especially on
> battery.
>
> hibernate mode is still temperamental, works when on AC but
crashes on battery

> I have also installed ifplugd and am monitoring what it does
>
> TODOs
> try the different settings, especially suspend2, working on
the presumption
> that it has been written to make up for inadequacies in the
other 2

> find a way to put the screen to bed, not just screensaver
> ditto wifi, especially when on battery. probably means
removing the ipw2200