[ltp] T42p + acpi + suspend

Bob Hutchinson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:06:49 +0100

On Thursday 28 Apr 2005 13:48, Jacek Wuwer wrote:
> Thank you for sharing this experience. I have made some
> progress since yesterday, although the major problem still
> persists.
>
> I have downloaded a plain 2.6.10 from kernel.org applied
> (cleanly) acpi patches and installed it.
> The good thing is that hibernate script now works. Both on
> battery and AC. The suspend to RAM still produces the error
>
> hda: task_out_intr: status=3D0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
>      task_out_intr: error=3D0x04 {Drive Status Error}

DisableWriteCacheOn looks like something to try

> regarless whether using the hibernate script and configuration
> (modofied to use S3) or mine. I have seen this problem while
> googling for it, even with releatively recent kernels (2.6.11),
> but failed to find either a solution or explanation ...
> I will stay with S4 then - whcih is actually much more
> important for me.
> To switch the LCD on and off I have compiled radeontool from
> http://fdd.com/software/radeon/
>
> I guess I have missed the --added-patches switch to make-kpkg.
> I can stay with plain kernel for a while though.
>
> What video driver are you using ?

ati, whatever Debian decided. I don't know much about video, a gui is just =
an=20
easy way to xterm, which is where my work is.

> Is there any reason you are using inird ?

It is what the original install did, and compiling a kernel without it gave=
 me=20
KERNEL PANIC! so I'll stick with what works for me.

> Again thanks for help - we can try to diff our .config files.
> Can you send me yours (to private e-mail) ?

done

Hope this helps some more ;-)

> [...]
> > ls -l /proc/acpi/ibm
> >
> > cat /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> > echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
> >
> > this enables Fn keys, although some of them already work
> >
> > next have a good look at /etc/hibernate and /etc/acpi
> > hibernate.conf handles 'hibernate' key Fn F12
> > edit it according to the comments, there are 3 different
>
> configs, I am using
>
> > suspend2.
> >
> > UseSwsusp2 yes
> > Reboot no
> > EnableEscape yes
> > defaultConsoleLevel 1
> > suspendDevice swap:dev/hda5    # edit to match
> >
> > in global set
> > SaveClock yes
> > Loadmodules auto
> > DownInterfaces auto
> > UpInterfaces auto
> > SwitchToTextMode yes
> > LogVerbosity 4
> > and set where the log goes
> >

> > /etc/hibernate/sleep.conf handles sleep mode Fn F4
> > UseACPISleep 3
> >
> > same global settings as above except
> > OnResume 20 /etc/acpi/actions/battery.sh   # still playing
>
> with this
>
> > UseSysfsPowerState mem works as well
> >

> > Fn F3 runs /etc/acpi/actions/blank.sh
> >
> > I added Option "dpms" to the "Monitor" section
>
> in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>
> > Not working for me yet, dpms does not appear to be supported
>
> using xset,
>
> > although RADEON swallows it happily, or says it does in
>
> dmesg.
>
> > I also added ibm-acpi and synaptics to /etc/modules
> > ibm-synaptics is a debian package, it made the touchpad work
>
> a lot better
>
> > Of the 3, sleep mode works well, though I'm still testing,
>
> especially on
>
> > battery.
> >
> > hibernate mode is still temperamental, works when on AC but
>
> crashes on battery
>
> > I have also installed ifplugd and am monitoring what it does
> >
> > TODOs
> > try the different settings, especially suspend2, working on
>
> the presumption
>
> > that it has been written to make up for inadequacies in the
>
> other 2
>
> > find a way to put the screen to bed, not just screensaver
> > ditto wifi, especially when on battery. probably means
>
> removing the ipw2200
>
> > module with modprobe -r
> >
> > Let the list know how it goes ;-)
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --

> > R. R. Hutchinson
> > Midwales dot com
> > web: http://midwales.com
> > email: hutch@midwales.com
> > phone: 0 (44) 1686 412144
> >
> > This email has been scanned for Viruses by http://efe.me.uk,
> > a service provided by Midwales dot com.

> Najta=F1szy KREDYT MIESZKANIOWY w Polsce! 100 tys. z=B3 ju=BF od 333 z=B3
> miesi=EAcznie! Oprocentowanie od 1,24% w CHF.
> Wystarczy wype=B3ni=E6 formularz aby pozna=E6 swoj=B1 rat=EA! -> Kliknij:

=2D-=20
Bob Hutchinson
Midwales dot com