[ltp] detecting if a model has a built-in antenna

Jordi G. March linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:01:04 +0200

Hi Jack,

try opening your mini-pci dock. It's just 2 screws away and if you have=20
built-in antenna, you'll notice two (or maybe one) small pigtails that are=
=20
left there to be connected to your mini-pci wireless card.

By the way, your mini-pci card won't work without antenna... No coverage at=
=20
all. There are cheap antennas on ebay, though, and it's not too difficult t=
o=20
install them and get a good coverage without the need to remove LCD and all=
=20
those things...

Jordi

El Friday, 29 de April de 2005 04:33, Jack McDermot escribi=F3:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Now I'm confused: I've been told
>
> 1) both that my machine has a built-in antenna as well as that it lacks
> one;
>
> 2) [by several people] that without a built-in antenna a minipci card won=
't
> work (or will work very poorly); 2 IBM sales reps say otherwise.
>
> What is true? What isn't? My machine is a X30 2673-42U; the online docs
>
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=3D0&=
fami
>lyind=3D105313&brandind=3D10&doccategoryind=3D0&modelind=3D105372&doctypei=
nd=3D8&valid
>ate=3Dtrue&partnumberind=3D0&sitestyle=3Dibm&template=3D%2Fproductpage%2Fl=
andingpage
>s%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&operatingsystemind=3D53385&machineind=3D1053=
71

> don't say much.
>
> Can I without opening up the machine detect the presence of an antenna in=
> x30?
>
> Thanks for any tip,
>
> Jack

> Don=92t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!

=2D-=20
http://www.devilmaster.org