[ltp] Linux, Thinkpads and IBM warranties

Albin Blaschka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:03:47 +0200

Tony wrote:
> What issues and experiences have any of you had with Linux on your
> Thinkpad and IBM's warranties?  Has anyone had a repair issue in which
> Linux was install (dual boot or only Linux) and IBM give you a
> problem?  Or do you have to resort to reinstalling windows only before
> contacting IBM?
>
> Tony

Hello,

I own a TP R40 with Dualboot and after a few month the Combo drive did
not work anymore. So I went to the dealer where I bought my baby ;-) and
told them my problem. What they told me was not so fine: I would have to
reformat my HD that they can send the whole Laptop (including
powercord!) to IBM and it will take at least 4 to 6 weeks to get it
back... Not so funny...

I then looked up the service line on the IBM website and called IBM
directly. After giving two times (I was connected to another line) my
data and all informations about the problem, I was called back after 10
minutes by a technician who again wanted to hear my story and then said
that he will send me a new drive. The drive arrived three days later
with detailed instructions  how to send the old not working drive back
to IBM at no charge. Happy again!

I told them that I was using LINUX, it was absolutely no problem, on the
contrary, I had the impression that the technician thought that he has
somebody who is knowing what he is talking about when he says "The drive
  is not working anymore, does not matter which media I use" ;-)

best wishes from Austria ;-)

Albin