[ltp] advice on Linux distribution for A20M (2628)

Christopher Sawtell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:05:46 +1200

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:29, James Oldham wrote:
> I just got an A20M (2628).
>
> Any advice on what distributions work best on this hardware?

Remember that the programs used in all Linux distributions are the same, It's
only the install methods and graphical presentations that differ.

While your machine may not be exactly the latest toy, it is still more than
sufficient to run run-of-the-mill Linux programs really quite well.

Unless given help by a more powerful modern computer using the distcc
distributed C compiler system, a machine like yours is not powerful enough to
build Linux and the application programs so source code distributions such as
Gentoo are not a viable choice.

If you are new to Linux, my suggestion is either of the Ubuntu or Kubuntu
distributions, depending on your aesthetic preferences. I prefer the latter
but the former has the advantage that a production CD set is available for
free. See:- http://www.kubuntu.org/ http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ and
http://shipit.ubuntu.com/
These distributions seem to have got the installation dependencies properly
sorted out.

You will find the addition of more RAM to be a very worth while upgrade.
I used a 400Mhz Pentium II with 384Mdegs RAM for several years until only last
year.

You might find this somewhat out of date URL:-
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~bdonovan/linux/ThinkPadA20.html
worth reading.

Please be aware that getting an internal winmodem to go properly under Linux
is still a somewhat hit and miss, black-magic, and voodoo business. See:-
http://www.linmodems.org/ and http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
The scanModem script available from the latter is particularly useful.

--
CS