[ltp] ACPI S3 power drain and Thinkpad Wiki/radeonfb

Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:34:24 +0300

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 05:35:17PM +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> >Any  module  options  specified in /etc/modprobe.conf are passed to
> >the modules as they are loaded by the initial ramdisk.
> >
> >- so I guess I could add them there.  It kind of hardcodes it but
> >well worth a try - thanks, I will.
>=20
> Finally tried this: it didn't seem to be working until I realised you
> had to actually *remake* your initrd having made a change to
> /etc/modprobe.conf, if you are --preload'ing the module into it.
> Having done that, it looks like you can hardcode radeonfb into the
> initrd - just not switch it on the kernel boot line, which is a
> shame.

I'm sure it's possible to hack the shell scripts that live inside the
initrd and make them check for a keyword in /proc/cmdline, and then load
the radeonfb only conditionally.

By the way, I've just compiled a kernel (2.6.12) with the radeonfb sleep
patch.  I booted it, switched from the GDM login screen to a text
console, modprobed radeonfb, and was pleasantly surprised that radeonfb and
X did not try to fight over the hardware.  I then suspended the laptop
for 20 minutes and discovered that the patch works -- sleep used 800 mW
instead of 3500 mW that I've seen before.  Yay!

Marius Gedminas
--=20
5. Is RetchMail standards-compliant?

Quick answer: HA HA HA HA HA HA no.