[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:19:22 +0200

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:05:02PM +0200, Paul RIVIER wrote:

> >Paul,
> >
> >	T42, I can install any version of ibm-acpi, the Temperature is not
> >critical, I just hate a hot CPU.
> >
> >I want to take control of the fan speed in case that I'm plugged, and I
> >don't care about noise and I want the CPU to be cooled down. Also, this
> >would be greatly helpful for when one is compiling a kernel or
> >something.
> >
> >There are many reasons involved.
> >
> >Any idea on how to manually change the fan speed and then let it take
> >control by itself again?
> >
> >.Alejandro
> >

> Hi Alejandro,
> According to http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/README :
>
> "On the X31 and X40 (and ONLY on those models), the fan speed can be
> controlled to a certain degree. Once the fan is running, it can be
> forced to run faster or slower with the following command:
>     echo 'speed <speed>' > /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal"
>
> That would be the normal way, but as you can see, T42 is not concerned.
> I own a T42 too. My fan can be switched on / off  - and when runing,
> speed depends on cpu temp (hardware controled).
> I still don't understand why you want it to run faster, intel pentium M
> are resistant to the heat, even 75°C is quiet acceptable for such a
> processor :)
> (http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pm/sb/CS-007971.htm)
>
> But ok, if you really want to take the control, check your ecdump (use
> the last version of ibm-acpi - experimental=1) with :
>     cat /proc/acpi/ibm/ecdump

Hi Paul (and Alejandro),

I own a TP42 too and to be able to use ibm-acpi with experimental=1, I
build a kernel with ibm-acpi as loadable module (before, I had it
compiled in). But I can't load the module !?!

atto:/home/eric[0]# modprobe ibm-acpi
FATAL: Error inserting ibm_acpi
(/lib/modules/2.6.12n/kernel/drivers/acpi/ibm_acpi.ko): No such device

Does anyone have an idea why it can't load ??

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be