[ltp] Problems installing Linux on a T43

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:46:35 -0400

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 02:47 -0700, Thor Tall wrote:
> Thanks for the information.
> Unfurtunatelly I cannot ask the customer to upgrade as
> I am only supplying a small part of a big system and
> they to not want to spend the money to upgrade to a
> new version of linux. security is not an issue as the
> software is running in a closed environment with no
> external internet access.
>
> I have tried to install a new kernel version 2.4.31
> which doesn't help as I still only get 2.4 MB/s access
> to the disk and I cannot change the DMA setting.
>
> I have also looked at the CentOS 3 and it seem to be
> build on later versions of Redhat so I cannot use it.
>
> With respect to the earlier listing regarding the T43
> and DMA then I have read them and although I enable
> the defines as described in the postings I doesn't
> seem to help with a 2.4.31 kernel.
>
> I would be greateful for anyother ideas.

you're going to have to backport the 2.6 ide stuff or give up.
What's the big deal about installing a 2.6 kernel in that os?
it should work okay - you just need the updated module packages.

It doesn't really cost them much to switch to another distro... I
usually dump clients that don't listen to me.

Why buy a laptop if it's never going to leave the private garden?

I'll exchange my t40 for your t43 if you want ;)

brad