[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 19:14:25 +1200

--nextPart1557243.iyfuI467B7

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 05:33, honey@gneek.com wrote:

> Yes - shutdown.  Is 92 degrees actually ok for a Pentium M?  Seems
> awfully hot, but I haven't looked at the specs.

Intel says 100C.

T42 2378-XXQ (-FVU open box), P 1.7M, Seagate 80G Momentus 5400.2, stock=20
CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Radeon 9600 M-10.

Stock 256M SO-DIMM + Mac Powerbook spec 1G Low Heat SO-DIMM.

'dmidecode' says the BIOS is:
                Version: 1RETDIWW (3.14 )
                Release Date: 01/20/2005

kernel 2.6.12-rc3, ACPI, swsusp (v.1 in the kernel, not swsusp2 patched in)=
,=20
radeonfb, FOSS r300 Radeon drivers, ibm-acpi-0.11 as external module.  "On=
=20
demand" CPU governer.

Gentoo "emerge -Du world".  Compile for 8 hours straight at 100% (mostly) w=
ith=20
periodic browsing, watching TV (on screen via Hauppauge PVR-USB2 tuner, so=
=20
it's relevant), looking at code in Eclipse.  Temp goes to 57C - 62C.  Fan i=
s=20
on all the time.

I'm watching the fan now (not compiling).  It varies between 2938 & 3110 rp=
m.

I'm also using Paul Rivier's fan on/off script, and it's switching to 0=20
periodically, then starting the fan again.  Temp is hovering around 42C=20
(gkrellm).

It came out of RAM suspend in the bag once (maybe I only thought I shut it=
=20
off), and did a shutdown after a while.  The battery appeared exhausted and=
=20
I'm not sure it was a thermal shutdown, although it was noticeably hot.  Wi=
th=20
'ondemand' and nothing to do, it should have throttled to 600Mhz the whole=
=20
time.

Ambient is ~18C (third warmest New Zealand winter on record).  I don't know=
=20
what it will do in Oz (Australia) when it gets >35C.

I received it in February (equivalent to August in the Northern Hemisphere)=
,=20
and didn't notice any heat issues then, but I also didn't pay attention to=
=20
the temperature much.  Ambient then would have been up to ~25C.

Oempcworld.com suggested I use the Mac spec low heat RAM.  They said if the=
y=20
spec RAM for the machine, it gets their full warranty, which is for life - =
it=20
matches all the other specs, PC2700, etc..  So far no worries, no bumps, al=
l=20
fine.

But they also said the Mac spec low heat RAM uses 40% less power.  I haven'=
t=20
tested battery life.

Cheers,
Bret