[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:18:40 +1200

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:50, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> >> Yes - shutdown.  Is 92 degrees actually ok for a Pentium M?  Seems
> >> awfully hot, but I haven't looked at the specs.
> >
> > Intel says 100C.
>
> Thanks - helpful - yes, you'd think if it can boil water, it's
> definitely over spec!  10 degrees then seems a bit close to me.
>
> > T42 2378-XXQ (-FVU open box), P 1.7M, Seagate 80G Momentus 5400.2, stock
> > CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Radeon 9600 M-10.

> > Gentoo "emerge -Du world".  Compile for 8 hours straight at 100% (mostly)
> > with periodic browsing, watching TV (on screen via Hauppauge PVR-USB2
> > tuner, so it's relevant), looking at code in Eclipse.  Temp goes to 57C -
> > 62C.  Fan is on all the time.
> >
> > I'm watching the fan now (not compiling).  It varies between 2938 & 3110
> > rpm.
> >
> > I'm also using Paul Rivier's fan on/off script, and it's switching to 0
> > periodically, then starting the fan again.  Temp is hovering around 42C
> > (gkrellm).
>
> Wow, either something changed between the T40 and the T42, or my
> fan's breaking, or yours is souped up.

I don't suppose you have temperatures from when it was new?

Has yours ever been serviced?  (Based on cars - no one puts them together like
the factory can.)

> Others on this list seemed to be indicating theirs went that high
> too.  What do you put your low temperature at high CPU down to?

Refined breeding, superior education, rugged good looks...

I don't know the effect of the 18C ambient, as opposed to a US summer, which
would tend to be around 30C, depending on where, etc.

I wouldn't expect that thermal grease (in yours) would deteriorate much in a
few years, unless you are giving it daily baths.  Knowing the temperatures
when it was young would be interesting.

My machine is plugged into mains all day, and part of the night - work, TV,
web browsing, etc.  Shortly after I got my first one, a phrase began going
through my mind - "Those who live by the laptop...".

At this point, I'd just assume I lucked out.

> Maybe I should suck some of the fluff out of it..!

Is there any?

Cheers,
Bret