[ltp] loose PC

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:05:47 -0400

On 8/4/05, Alejandro Bonilla Beeche <abonilla@linuxwireless.org> wrote:
> Any idea why? Is it because the screws had something special while
> assembled?
Supposedly the screws are covered in nylon(?) so that they stay put
better. You're *supposed* to never reuse them, but I'm not paying
whatever it costs to get new screws.

I'd recommend getting the service manual (google: "thinkpad t42
service manual" -
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=3DMIGR-46464).
The first time I took the screws out of my T42, I had leftovers :(.
After being a little more methodical about it, though, it now feels
like new.

So, no, you're not alone in having trouble getting it back together
the same as it was before you took it apart. Just be sure to take the
keyboard out first, then the palm rest. (And get the manual; that's
awesome that they make it available.)

-Andy