[ltp] ibm_acpi and modprobe.conf

Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:44:39 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Steven King wrote:

> FC3 (which I'm running) and I think FC4 as well, have these lines
> in /etc/rc.sysinit:
>
> # Initialiaze ACPI bits
> if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
>   for module in /lib/modules/$unamer/kernel/drivers/acpi/* ; do
>      insmod $module >/dev/null 2>&1
>   done
> fi
>
> as insmod doesnt use modprobe.conf I changed this to
>
> if [ -d /proc/acpi ]; then
>   pushd /lib/modules/$unamer/kernel/drivers/acpi > /dev/null 2>&1
>   for module in `ls | LC_ALL=C sed 's/\.*.ko//'`; do
>      modprobe $module >/dev/null 2>&1
>   done
>   popd > /dev/null 2>&1
> fi
>
> and now I get proper ibm_acpi option passing with an otherwise stock FC3
> distribution kernel (2.6.12-1.1372_FC3).

Hmm - hadn't seen it in there, thanks.  That's really early in the
boot, just after setting the hostname.  Not sure I want to hack
rc.sysinit and risk future initscript updates myself, although of
course they're fixable.  This actually confuses me more, because
it doesn't explain why, if you install 0.11 in /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/acpi/ (default location in the Makefile I think) it's picked up
at boot, and honours modprobe.conf ok - the solution therefore being
to remove the stock 0.8 one in /kernel/drivers/acpi/ (yes, which is
a hack too, ugh :) ).

I guess the answer must be that *if* it isn't insmodded early
in rc.sysinit because it's not there, some later bit of hardware
detection modprobes it correctly from /acpi/.