[ltp] Re: X20 ticking like a clock?

Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:09:58 -0400

On Sat, 2005-08-06 at 23:49 +0200, Rolf Leggewie wrote:

> I am not sure I can successfully mute the volume.  This X20 has no OS at
> the moment so I guess there shouldn't really be any sound activity.
> Pressing the mute buttonat the top of the keyboard at least does not
> change anything.  Fn+F4 to suspend the computer works but the ticking
> continues.

For what it's worth, our X20 does not seem to make any ticking sounds
(unless you count hard drive reads/writes).  However, my wife mentions
that it DOES occasionally make a "whining" noise that might be
correlated with whether she's running it on battery or AC.  (I haven't
heard the noise, myself).

Is the noise coming from the speaker?  (Speaker on the X20 is on the
bottom - flip it over and you should see it.)  If so, you might be able
to kill the noise by playing with mixer settings once you install the
OS.

I do wonder why you still hear something during suspend.  That
*probably* rules our the speaker.  It also rules out the CPU fan and
hard drive, since neither of those are running in suspend.

Wonder if it's just a quirk that your particular machine has?

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/