[ltp] Installing XP from recovery discs?

Peter Lemken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 06:15:40 +0000

Hi,

after receiving the full 8 CD set of recovery disks from IBM I wiped my R51's
harddrive clean and partitioned it for exclusive Linux use.

Now I need to have Windows installed and from reading the documentation I
could not find a way to simply install XP Professional without losing my
Linux partitions. What I saw was that you could either restore the original
state of the HD from CD, losing all other partitions or start the rescue and
recovery process from disk and have windows installed on C:\ without losing
other partitions.

Since I do not have anything left on the HD except Linux, the last option
obviously doesn't work, does it? What other suggestions do you have to get XP
Pro onto the HD other than buying a new copy?

TIA

Peter Lemken
Berlin