[ltp] Installing XP from recovery discs?

LUK ShunTim linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:41:06 +0800

Peter Lemken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after receiving the full 8 CD set of recovery disks from IBM I wiped my R51's
> harddrive clean and partitioned it for exclusive Linux use.
>
> Now I need to have Windows installed and from reading the documentation I
> could not find a way to simply install XP Professional without losing my
> Linux partitions. What I saw was that you could either restore the original
> state of the HD from CD, losing all other partitions or start the rescue and
> recovery process from disk and have windows installed on C:\ without losing
> other partitions.
>
> Since I do not have anything left on the HD except Linux, the last option
> obviously doesn't work, does it? What other suggestions do you have to get XP
> Pro onto the HD other than buying a new copy?
>

> TIA
>

> Peter Lemken
> Berlin

Provided there is still sufficient empty space in your linux partitions
, you can use tools like GNU parted to resize them to get back empty
disk space to install the windoze stuff again. There are plenty of
information available out there. Try goggle for linux+windows+"dual
boot", for example.

Regards,
ST