[ltp] Kick up the Fan.

Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:32:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi Bret,

Thanks for your comments on directed airflow in the case - hadn't
occured to me.

> Is it on a hard flat surface?  Soft surfaces insulate half the case...
>
> I have mine on a hard desktop at work, or an overturned baking tray (metal -
> even better) on top of a box (to get the display up for ergonomics) at home.

Yes, mostly soft, with a magazine or something underneath - this may
be one of the bigger issues I think.  I still take the word "lap"
in "laptop" seriously, much as you're not supposed to anymore, and
I bet a baking tray on my lap would help - but they're for making
cakes and would be rather unergonomic on a lap :)

> I checked the implementation of the CPU governor - it does indeed flip between
> 600000 & 1700000 on demand.  I'd expect it to remain at the high end when
> demand remains pegged at 100%.

Yep - same here - exactly the behaviour I find, which with my T40
means 600MHz when idle-ish (like now), shooting pretty immediately up
to 160MHz when something CPU-intensive starts up.

> There are some graphics chip optimizations I read about on this list, and I'm
> not sure if I'm using them now.  I am not using the ATI drivers.  I made my
> first configuration off this page:
> http://www.jenny-and-jp.org/index.php?page=thinkpadr51
>
> ...as the hardware matched mine.  Now I am using a 2.6.12-rc3 kernel with
> Gentoo's patches.  I've enabled many of the kernel settings as listed in the
> page above, but I'm certain I'm not using the swsusp2 patches - they wouldn't
> fit with the Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-USB2 driver I wanted.

Odd - not heard about clashes between Hauppauge and swsusp2.  I have
a difference Hauppauge (DVB) USB tuner, and didn't have any problems
with swsusp2, but I guess it's device-specific.

Anyway, I'll browse the above URL, but nothing obvious immediately
leaps out at me.  I have tuned graphics to the extent of using
DynamicClocks, but no further, and use the Xorg drivers.

> ibm-acpi is compiled as a module external to the kernel.

Here too.

> I'd wonder about the thermal paste if anything.  Or I'd just expect the T40s
> run hotter than the T42s.

I expect we might find that's the real issue.

Honey