[ltp] Prism54 and Mandrake 10.2 - solution

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:27:13 +0100

Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>>Dear All,
>>
>>I just tried to get my new wireless card to work with mdk. No luck, I
>>get the errors:
>>
>>	 no lights on card.
>>	iwconfig -> "Not Ready!"
>>	dmesg: Prism54 request_firmware() failed for 'isl3890'
>>
>>Cause: Mandrake haven't installed the firmware for the card.
>>It doesn't
>>seem to be available in any of the packages.
>>
>>Fix:  Copy the directory /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/
>>       from Knoppix (I used 3.7).
>>
>>It now works!
>>

> Richard,
>
> 	I think that they charge for the Firmwares. You have to be like a Member or
> a purchaser of the product.
>
> Something like that.
>
>  .Alejandro

Yes - but I *did * purchase the product! I bought the card from netgear
to begin with. Besides which, if the firmware is on Knoppix, it ought to
be included in Mandrake too. Anyway, at least google now has the
solution to fixing this.

Regards,

Richard