[ltp] Time spent in C3 cpu state ?

Konstantin Filtschew linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 09 Aug 2005 18:47:24 +0200

--=-9h7nC5w/RBTPzwJJPH8I

hi,

to remove all USB devices and then your system will maybe use the C3
Modus. On my System T40, I have to remove the drivers for USB too to get
in C3.
It is a known issue.

Some systems don't use the C3 mode, if you are in X-Windows. Try to
watch it from the console without any special modules loaded and find
the driver, which disturb the system to use C3. It is often a very
useful driver like USB :)

I think it is a generell Hardware Problem, if you use special parts of
your hardware. In my  opinion is the USB part of my notebook, which uses
pooling and don't let the CPU get into C3. Some people on newer
notebooks don't have this problem, so this should be hardware.

Greetz

Konstantin

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:02 -0500, Josh Battles wrote:
> Damien Challet said:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just wondering, what is the fraction of the time your thinkpad spends i=
n C3
> > cpu state ?
> >
> > My own stats:
> >
> > T41 2373-GEG: 50%, x21 and 600E with PIII@450MHz: 85%
> >
> > Is there any way to improve the usage of C3 ?
>=20
> Please excuse my ignorance, but isn't C3 a low-power idle state?  Wouldn'=
t it
> only be in this state if you have it suspended or something?
>=20
> --=20
> - Josh
> www.omg-stfu.com
--=20
Building an operation system without source code,
is like buying a  self assemble space shuttle without
instructions.

--=-9h7nC5w/RBTPzwJJPH8I

--=-9h7nC5w/RBTPzwJJPH8I--