[ltp] G41 ticking

Andrew Haninger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:11:44 -0400

On 8/9/05, Peter B. West <lists@pbw.id.au> wrote:
> Not wanting to be spinning the disk up and down in normal usage, I
> experimented with some of the hdparm settings which were also in
> /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf.
>=20
> I can't be entirely sure yet, but it seems that changing the power
> management setting (-B) to 254 has solved the problem.  I haven't heard
> the ticking since I set that value for AC running.
FWIW, you might like to check out noflushd for shutting down the hard
drive after a period of inactivity. Normally, the disk will spin right
back up, defeating point of shutting the drive down. With noflushd,
the disk stays off until it really needs to spin up.

The only problem is that noflushd doesn't work with journaling filesystem :=
-/

The site is at noflushd.sf.net. The http and ftp download links on
that page are dead, but if you click on the "project info" link, you
can get the latest version.

-Andy