[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

Florian Dorpmueller linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:37:01 +0000

>Anyway, when the fan is on, does it make much noise, or just as any
>common laptop? Is it the same on Windows or is a problem with Linux?

It´s not a "Linux-only-problem". I´ve seen some Laptops running with windows
- and they were not the cheapest ones - with an annoying fan behaviour. But
with windows normally you cannot control the fan with Linux you can. Using
ibm-acpi on a Thinkpad you can get a lot of information about the machine
states and the temperature of CPU, GPU, HDD, PCI, etc. So its your own
decision to turn the fan on and off when you like.

I´m not familiar with Dells Laptops. But if you want to use Linux on them
check out detailled if the buildt in devices are supported. If possible
insert a Knoppix-CD and make a "lspci -v". With this information you can
make your decision.

Flori