[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:11:38 +0100

> Thanks Honey. I'm on a low budget, so the T series are not available
> for me. If there are people complaining about the loudness of the R
> series' fans, then I will not buy the R52, I'm quite obsessed when it
> comes to computer noise.

I have a R51 (1829-9MG, not the base R51 model) and it runs very quietly
(Gentoo + cpufreqd). The only time the fan is very loud is just before GRUB
starts and for about 2 seconds max. I don't reboot very often anyway. Othen
than that, it's very quiet.

The fan kicks up during long compilations (Gentoo...) but it is still
reasonable I think. Sometimes, the fan also kicks up when doing some graphics
intensive operations (3D GL visualisation in Tecplot). It seems like a short
boost and usually goes back down to very low level after a couple of minutes.
This R51 has a ATI Radeon M9 raphics card, xorg 6.8.2 and "dynamic clock" is
on.

I have to say that I hesitated for long between a R51 and a T42 but the budget
decided for me and I am very pleased with the R51. I just wish I had a
1600x1200 screen (mine is 1400x1050) and the T42 is quite a bit slimmer or so
I'm told.

JP

--
JP Renaud