[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:21:53 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Jaime Iniesta wrote:

> I don't know what to do. I have to decide between the R52 and a
> Dell Inspiron 6000, similar to the R52 but with double amount of RAM,
> a 15.4" screen, an ATI Radeon Mobility X300 and DVD burner for 60
> ? less than the R52, which is quite tempting...
>
> I will try the Dell this weekend, as a friend has one and he lets
> me try it a few days, to decide what to do. Anyone knows about Dell
> laptops?

Jaime,

Remember this is a list for users who have Thinkpads, so you're
unlikely to get an unbiassed answer.  But if you want opinion, I used
Dell laptops for 8 years, and the construction of my T-series is
a lot more solid.  It's a T, so more compact than an R, which I don't
have experience of.  But the case doesn't squeak when I lift it.

I was using Dell Latitudes; my impression was that Inspiron cases
may have been even thinner/squeakier, but dunno.  If it's Linux,
try looking for a Dell forum as helpful and informed as this one -
they may exist, but I never found one.  If you do find one, ask there
too to balance the bias - if you don't, that may help your decision
making process.

There are certainly worse laptops than Dells - but there are also
better.

There's my biassed opinion,
Honey