[ltp] configure ibm-acpi

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:42:42 +0100 (BST)

--8323328-2024817434-1123857761=:589

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Roland Knöpfli wrote:

> hi
>
> i recently installed fedora core 4 on my A31p. i also udpated the ibm-acpi
> drivers from 0.8 to 0.11 and i've read the ibm-acpi readme.
>
> after creating a shell script 'blank.sh' under /etc/acpi/actions/ and a
> config file 'blank.conf' under /etc/acpi/events/ i enabled the hotkey support
> by entering 'echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey'.
> as expected the combination of 'Fn'+'F3' caused a blank screen. i was happy!
>
> but after a system restart i realized that the ibm-acpi driver doesn't
> remember that i've enabled the hotkey function.
>
> my (simple) question: how can i configure the ibm-acpi driver that the hotkey
> function stays enabled even after a system restart?
>
> thanks
>
> Roland

Roland,

You'll have to do the "echo enable" at every bootup.  Either put this
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, or follow the instructions in the README (I
think) about how to add the options at modprobe time - put them in
/etc/modprobe.conf.

Caveat - see earlier discussions here about the seeming
unpredictability of module loading where duplicates exist in
/lib/modules/<kernel>/: the default 0.8 one is install in
kernel/drivers/acpi, and the default installation path for 0.11 goes
into acpi/.  On the face of it this isn't a problem, as modules.dep
specifies (for me, in FC4) the acpi/ one first, so loads it when I
modprobe - but as someone else pointed out, if the
kernel/drivers/acpi one is present, it gets loaded by insmod very
early on in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit (and insmod of course ignores
modprobe.conf options).

The horrible solutions are either to (a) edit rc.sysinit (ugh!) or
(b) move/delete the 0.8 one in kernel/drivers/acpi/ (for me, slightly
lesser ugh).

I think I got all that right :)

Honey
--8323328-2024817434-1123857761=:589--