[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:07:38 +0100

prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm deciding on getting a Thinkpad and have a question about the
> difference between SXGA+ (1400x1050) versus XGA (1024x768) resolution.
> Most people think more is better but I have read reports of annoyances
> also when the resolution is so high that, for example, many images on
> web pages are ridiculously small.

Hi Daniel,

I currently have a Thinkpad A22p with a 15", 1600x1200 display. This is
the best monitor I have ever used.

You do have to do a spot of configuring. Basically:

1)Set the physical size in Xorg.conf and Xresources. (see my page at
richardneill.org for this)

2)Decide whether you prefer antialiasing or not.
Also, learn about hinting vs antialiasing. (short answer: scalable fonts
= necessary hack; antialiasing = BAD; hinting = good)
  See the Font howto
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/
You probably want to install:
   * The 100dpi bitmap fonts
   * The MS corefonts (free as in beer) (these are well hinted).
   * libfreetype - with bytecode interpreter enabled.

3)Configure the applications. Set konsole's font to "Unicode" - it's the
best font. Then set the font sizes to be what you like.

With images, there is a firefox extension that lets you zoom in on them.
(The upside: digital photos look fantastic!). You can also use something
like kmag.

And if you really want to, you can drop the resolution to a lower level
temporarily  - usually, it's OK if it's a nice multiple, ie. 1600x1200
native looks quite decent at 800x600.

My advice: get a 15" at 1600x1200. You'll love it - after the first hour
of getting it configured right.

Regards

Richard