[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:08:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:

> I'm deciding on getting a Thinkpad and have a question about the
> difference between SXGA+ (1400x1050) versus XGA (1024x768) resolution.
> Most people think more is better but I have read reports of annoyances
> also when the resolution is so high that, for example, many images on
> web pages are ridiculously small.

Wy desktop's CRT's resolution is 1536x1152.  I use Opera as my my main web
browser and set its zoom to default at 200%.  Situation resolved.  Some
things do look absurdly small though -- gkrellm and xmcd for two.  Xmms's
"double size" option makes it tolerable.

> My biggest concern right now would be in running xterms at with a font
> that doesn't kill my eyes.  I currently have a 15" XGA display and can
> pane 4 xterms on one screen using
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-*-130-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 font.  Anything
> smaller than this creates eye strain after a while and anything larger
> means that all 4 terms won't fit nicely on the screen.  I have also
> noticed before that larger fonts sizes of -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal tend
> to look pretty choppy, whereas other fonts tend to be much less condensed
> and pretty ugly to use in xterms.

Are you fixated on that font?  I have pretty bad eyes so I use
-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* on the desktop (39
lines fit onscreen).  The laptop has a sharper screen (and I sit closer to
it) so I can get away with smaller type there.  Can't check to see what it
uses right now...

       http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html