[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Eben King linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:04:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:

> > > smaller than this creates eye strain after a while and anything larger
> > > means that all 4 terms won't fit nicely on the screen.  I have also
> > > noticed before that larger fonts sizes of -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal tend
> > > to look pretty choppy, whereas other fonts tend to be much less condensed
> > > and pretty ugly to use in xterms.
> >
> > Are you fixated on that font?  I have pretty bad eyes so I use
> > -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* on the desktop (39
> > lines fit onscreen).  The laptop has a sharper screen (and I sit closer to
> > it) so I can get away with smaller type there.  Can't check to see what it
> > uses right now...
>
> Wow I just tried your font at 1024x768!  The letters were huge!

Yeah, every now and then I display an xterm/rxvt from the desktop on the
laptop.  Indeed, it's too big there.

> -*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-11-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-* is about the same
> as -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-120-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15 but a
> corresponding xterm with the lucidatypewriter font is about 10% wider
> because.

72 columns?

> I've spent a lot of time trying out many different fonts for xterms, and
> I've found that good old misc is better than all others, usually by a long
> shot.

Fair enough.

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al