[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 01:08:04 +0100

prosolutions@gmx.net wrote:

> I've spent a lot of time trying out many different fonts for xterms, and I've found that good old misc is better than all others, usually by a long shot.  The vast majority of fonts just look terrible in terminals because they are not condensed.
> I just read what the other guy posted about hinting, scaling, etc. but I
> don't think this applies to terminal fonts.  Because I work as a
> sysadmin, probably 80% of my time sitting at a computer is spent working
> in xterms (actually I use rxvt-unicode).

That's true: the hinting stuff isn't really relevant to the console
because you probably are using a bitmapped (non-printable) font.

However, if you do want to investigate, I'd really recommend the
"Konsole" progam (part of KDE) - it is a real joy to use compared to
xterm - and it has tabs too. In konsole, the font called "Unicode" is
the best (yes, I know "unicode" isn't the name of the font face, but
that is where it is configured)

Richard