[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Gr

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:06:55 +0100

On Thursday 11 August 2005 14:45, Ovidiu Achim wrote:
> Would be more specific? Which kernel, kernel params? ACPI or APM? Any
> special cpufreqd config file? USB devices plugged? Wireless module in
> use? BIOS version? EC version? Is the fan really stopped or is it only
> running at the lowest speed? Which is the speed reported by ibm-acpi
> for the fan?

kernel 2.6.11.2
kernel params: acpi_sleep=s3_bios
acpi
default cpufreq.conf (only modified to add more compiling profiles)
USB mouse plugged in almost all the time
Wireless in use at home. Module (ipw2200) unloaded most of the time (at work)

I need to reboot to check BIOS and EC versions.

How can I check the fan speed properly? Listening more carefully, it is indeed
possible that the fan is always on but at very low speed. Actually if I
reload ibm_acpi just now:

~ $ sudo rmmod ibm_acpi
~ $ sudo modprobe ibm_acpi hotkey=enable,0xfff experimental=1
~ $ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:         enabled
speed:          3088
commands:       enable, disable

What does 3088 mean ?? Is it a low or high fan speed? The laptop is very quiet
as i type (but I did sync Gentoo earlier on which has generated quite a bit
of disk activity). The temperatures at the moment are:

~ $ cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal
temperatures:   38 45 32 52 29 -128 26 -128

Let me know what else I can do for you.

JP

--
JP Renaud