[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:04:46 +1200

--nextPart8214469.oSMUdZ0slW

With a bit of reading, and the choice of desktop I've made, I have no probl=
em=20
getting fonts the way and size I like them.

I have the 1400x1050 display at 14", and the fonts are gorgeous.  I use the=
=20
extra pixels for more detail, rather than teeny-weeny fonts.  My previous=20
Thinkpad had the same size display, with 1024x768 resolution, and it seems=
=20
grainy and uncomfortable compared to this.

My machine also happily uses a framebuffer for text consoles=20
(Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6]), which display at 1024x768, so the font isn't too tiny, a=
nd=20
the same works for the X display if I want, so I've read some people gettin=
g=20
the Fn+Spacebar magnification to work that way (haven't done it yet myself,=
=20
but I will).

I read complaints about the ATI 7500 display chip set that goes with the XG=
A=20
displays, and good things about the 9600 M10 display that went with the SXG=
A,=20
and that had a big influence on my choice too.  32 vs. 64 megabytes of=20
display RAM as well.

I'm delighted with the SXGA.  The extra resolution in the same size charact=
ers=20
greatly improves the readability.  I can see the grain in XGA displays now.

Cheers,
Bret