[ltp] ThinkPad T23: IBM ACPI does not work with kernel 2.6.12.4, ACPI 2005-07-28, compiled by GCC 4.0.1

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:13:51 +0200

Am Samstag 13 August 2005 14:13 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:

> I came to this as pressing Fn-F12 did not start a suspend to disk
> anymore. Well and with Fn-F7 or some time after Fn-F12 (I was pressing
> those two wildly) I got a blank screen with lots of harddisk activity
> and no reaction to Ctrl-Alt-F1, Alt-F7 switching anymore. After some
> time I decided it might be healthier to switch the laptop off. It
> booted okay afterwards.

Hello again,

*DOH*, you better forget about that one. Its rather natural that the
display turns of when I press Fn-F7 ;-)... as its rather natural that it
would turn back on, when I pressed it another time.

I'd rather try with Fn-F4 to get suspend to RAM.  ;)

> Well I will recompile the thing with GCC 3.3.5 and look whether this
> helps. When it doesn't I will leave out those ACPI patches (probably
> that ACPI patches are too new for IBM ACPI in 2.6.12).
>
> I nothing works I will stay with 2.6.12.2 which worked quite nicely
> beside some rare hangs on "Checking HLT instruction" when trying to
> boot. Or with 2.6.11.12 which really worked without a glitch.
>
> I will report back.

Well out of a some feeling I tried without ACPI patches first. And well,
IBM ACPI works again. So IBM-ACPI from 2.6.12.4 and ACPI patches from
2005-07-28 do not seem to work together.

So I seem to have my first working kernel compiled with Debian GCC 4.0.1
packages that floated into Debian Etch today ;-)

root@deepdance:/usr/src -> cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.12.4-tp23 (root@deepdance) (gcc version 4.0.1 (Debian
4.0.1-2)) #1 Sat Aug 13 14:39:38 CEST 2005

Have a nice weekend,