[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with theIntel Media Gr

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:40:03 +0200

------=_Part_2307_19491854.1123947603762

OK, I'm still trying to decide between the R52 and a Dell. Right now, I=20
think I'll buy the R52.

Just let me make clear my ideas about the fan, just to be sure I've=20
understood it correctly. Please review them and make comments as you like.

* A know problem/feature on the R52 is that the fan is always on. This is=
=20
its normal behaviour and also happens when you run Windows.
* It's not a Linux problem, it's only the default behaviour of the fan on=
=20
this model.
* When we describe the problem as "the fan is always on" we're not saying=
=20
that the fan is always on "at full speed": both in Linux and Windows, the=
=20
fan is always on at low speed and it gains speed when needed.
* There is a script for Linux that I can use to completely stop the fan at=
=20
will (dangerous!), or automate it so it turns on and off based on the=20
temperature of the laptop. I can use it at my own risk.
* This script is particularly a good idea on all Thinkpads to save=20
batteries.
* Some people have complained about the fan noise on the R series, but many=
=20
more have not complained. In particular, a R51 user on this list said that=
=20
he was not annoyed by the fan noise as it's quiet.

Thanks everybody for the help. Let's see if I lose my worries about the fan=
=20
and I decide to buy the R52 next week. If I do so, I'll add more informatio=
n=20
about this model to the list and wiki.

Jaime

2005/8/13, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com>:
>=20
> Thanks, I'll look on ebay but I prefer to buy it from a local shop, I kno=
w=20
> some in my city.
>=20
> Let's see if I make up my mind about the fan always on issue.
>=20
> Thanks!
> Jaime
>=20
> 2005/8/13, Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz>:
> >=20
> > On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:24, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
> > > One more thing...look at eBay, they have new ThinkPads a lot cheaper
> > > than IBM.
> >=20
> > I'm hanging this off Andr=E9's post, but it's for Jaime.
> >=20
> > I've bought both my Thinkpads off ebay. The T21 was being sold directly=
=20
> > by=20
> > IBM - new, full 3 year warranty. My T42 is an open box refurb - with a
> > year's warranty from IBM, and 3 years beyond that from MAC computers.
> >=20
> > I bought in the US, but I live in New Zealand and, overseas, repairs ar=
e=20
> > done=20
> > by IBM in country - MAC just pays the bill. 8-)
> >=20
> > I look for a vendor that's been a member for years, and is in the 98%+
> > positive ratings, and I read how they respond to the few complaints=20
> > they've
> > received.=20
> >=20
> > New from not-IBM on ebay gets the new warranty, too. Just make sure to=
=20
> > ask if
> > it's new and gets the full warranty, do I get a sales receipt, etc.=20
> > PayPal
> > has some good guarantees for ebay payments these days too.=20
> >=20
> > Cheers,
> > Bret
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/

------=_Part_2307_19491854.1123947603762

OK, I'm still trying to decide between the R52 and a Dell. Right now, I thi=
nk I'll buy the R52.<br>
Just let me make clear my ideas about the fan, just to be sure I've
understood it correctly. Please review them and make comments as you
like.<br>
* A know problem/feature on the R52 is that the fan is always on. This
is its normal behaviour and also happens when you run Windows.<br>
* It's not a Linux problem, it's only the default behaviour of the fan on t=
his model.<br>
* When we describe the problem as &quot;the fan is always on&quot; we're no=
saying that the fan is always on &quot;at full speed&quot;: both in Linux a=
nd
Windows, the fan is always on at low speed and it gains speed when
needed.<br>
* There is a script for Linux that I can use to completely stop the fan
at will (dangerous!), or automate it so it turns on and off based on
the temperature of the laptop. I can use it at my own risk.<br>
* This script is particularly a good idea on all Thinkpads to save batterie=
s.<br>
* Some people have complained about the fan noise on the R series, but
many more have not complained. In particular, a R51 user on this list
said that he was not annoyed by the fan noise as it's quiet.<br>
Thanks everybody for the help. Let's see if I lose my worries about the
fan and I decide to buy the R52 next week. If I do so, I'll add more
information about this model to the list and wiki.<br>
Jaime<br>
ef=3D"mailto:capitanplaneta@gmail.com">capitanplaneta@gmail.com</a>&gt;:</s=
pan><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(2=
04, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Thanks, I'll look on ebay but I prefer to buy it from a local shop, I know =
some in my city.<br>
Let's see if I make up my mind about the fan always on issue.<br>
Thanks!<br>
ow &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bwaldow@woosh.co.nz" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"=
return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">bwaldow@woosh.co.nz</a>&gt;:<=
/span>
il_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0=
pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:24, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:<br>&gt; One more thing...lo=
I'm hanging this off Andr=E9's post, but it's for Jaime.<br><br>I've bought=
 both my Thinkpads off ebay.&nbsp;&nbsp;The T21 was being sold directly by
b - with a<br>year's warranty from IBM, and 3 years beyond that from MAC co=
mputers.<br><br>I bought in the US, but I live in New Zealand and, overseas=
, repairs are done
k for a vendor that's been a member for years, and is in the 98%+<br>positi=
ve ratings, and I read how they respond to the few complaints they've<br>re=
ceived.
t make sure to ask if<br>it's new and gets the full warranty, do I get a sa=
les receipt, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;PayPal<br>has some good guarantees for ebay pa=
yments these days too.
esta AKA Capit=E1n planeta<br>email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<=
br>
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>webs: <a href=3D"http:/=
/capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.O=
penExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>