[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with theIntel Media Gr

Jaime Iniesta linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:04:05 +0200

------=_Part_2343_11256440.1123949045014

Just 10 minutes ago I received the answer to my "how noisy is the Dell=20
Inspiron 6000?" question on a Linux-On-Dell-Laptops mailing list. I made=20
this question 3 days ago.

It definitely seems like there is a much more active community around=20
Thinkpads.

By the way, here is the answer. The Dell has also the same "fan always on"=
=20
problem/feature so... it seems like my testing is finished. If the Dell has=
=20
also the fan always on, then I'll buy the R52. Now, I have to wait until=20
tuesday as on monday it's holiday in Spain :-(

Jaime

*****
 Yes, as far as I've seen, the fan is always on, but the 'speed' of it
it is adjusted depending on how much cooling is needed at the moment.
When doing desktop work, it's quite quiet, but still hearable. When
playing games and the like it gets louder, though I've never been
irritated by it. Whatever I do, it's much more quieter than my desktop
system is. The fan sound is quite low-pitch and "calm", does just
sound like flowing air, and that is a difference from my old latitude
cpi d300xt, which had a quite high-pitched fan sound. When doing
desktop work, it can even be a bit "soothing". Also, the hard drive is
very quiet, it's barely hearable when writing and reading lots of
stuff.
*****

2005/8/13, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com>:
>=20
> Look what I just read on this T43 review<http://www.hothardware.com/print=
article.cfm?articleid=3D674>.=20
> [...]
=20
> > at will (dangerous!), or automate it so it turns on and off based on th=
e=20
> > temperature of the laptop. I can use it at my own risk.
> > * This script is particularly a good idea on all Thinkpads to save=20
> > batteries.
> > * Some people have complained about the fan noise on the R series, but=
=20
> > many more have not complained. In particular, a R51 user on this list s=
aid=20
> > that he was not annoyed by the fan noise as it's quiet.
> >=20
> > Thanks everybody for the help. Let's see if I lose my worries about the=
=20
> > fan and I decide to buy the R52 next week. If I do so, I'll add more=20
> > information about this model to the list and wiki.
> >=20
> > Jaime
> >=20
> >=20
> > 2005/8/13, Jaime Iniesta <capitanplaneta@gmail.com>:=20
> > >=20
> > > Thanks, I'll look on ebay but I prefer to buy it from a local shop, I=
=20
> > > know some in my city.
> > >=20
> > > Let's see if I make up my mind about the fan always on issue.
> > >=20
> > > Thanks!
> > > Jaime
> > >=20
> > > 2005/8/13, Bret Comstock Waldow <bwaldow@woosh.co.nz>:=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > --=20
> > >=20
> > > Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> > > email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> > > jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> > > webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
> > >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > --=20
> >=20
> > Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> > email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> > jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org=20
> > webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
> >=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
> email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
> jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
> webs: http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/=20
>=20

--=20

Jaime Iniesta AKA Capit=E1n planeta
email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org

Just 10 minutes ago I received the answer to my &quot;how noisy is the Dell
Inspiron 6000?&quot; question on a Linux-On-Dell-Laptops mailing list. I
made this question 3 days ago.<br>
It definitely seems like there is a much more active community around Think=
pads.<br>
By the way, here is the answer. The Dell has also the same &quot;fan always
on&quot; problem/feature so... it seems like my testing is finished. If the
Dell has also the fan always on, then I'll buy the R52. Now, I have to wait=
 until tuesday as on monday it's holiday in Spain :-(<br>
Jaime<br>
*****<br>
<tt>
Yes, as far as I've seen, the fan is always on, but the 'speed' of it<br>
it is adjusted depending on how much cooling is needed at the moment.<br>
When doing desktop work, it's quite quiet, but still hearable. When<br>
playing games and the like it gets louder, though I've never been<br>
irritated by it. Whatever I do, it's much more quieter than my desktop<br>
system is. The fan sound is quite low-pitch and &quot;calm&quot;, does just=
sound like flowing air, and that is a difference from my old latitude<br>
cpi d300xt, which had a quite high-pitched fan sound. When doing<br>
desktop work, it can even be a bit &quot;soothing&quot;. Also, the hard dri=
ve is<br>
very quiet, it's barely hearable when writing and reading lots of<br>
stuff.</tt><br>
;:</span><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid =
rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Look what I just read on <a href=3D"http://www.hothardware.com/printarticle=
.cfm?articleid=3D674" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLin=
k(window,event,this)">this T43 review</a>.
It looks like good news to me, as it seems that the R52 is quieter than
the more expensive T43. I mean, I know the T43 is way much better, so I
guess is not really noisy... and the R52 seems to be quieter.<br>
Good!<br>
******<br>
a" size=3D"2">-
ity of the time</span> we had the
notebook running. In general, the notebook is quiet, other than the
almost inaudible hum of the hard drive.&nbsp; The fan comes on
intermittently and is slightly louder than the hard drive. <span style=3D"f=
ont-weight: bold;">It is not
loud, but it is more noticeable than the R52</span>. Just sitting in normal
typing posture should allow you to hear the CPU fan, but it is
certainly is no where near as loud as a desktop equivalent. On a
flight, the person next to you probably won't notice or have trouble
sleeping. In a dead quiet library, you will hear the fan and so will
the person next to you.&nbsp; When the fan went to max speed, it was louder
than the hum from the hard drive and pretty close to the volume of
accessing a DVD in the optical drive. If you are watching a movie and
the fan stays at max, it gets a bit distracting.</font></p>
Jaime<br>
ef=3D"mailto:capitanplaneta@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return =
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">capitanplaneta@gmail.com</a>&gt;:</s=
pan>

204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
OK, I'm still trying to decide between the R52 and a Dell. Right now, I thi=
nk I'll buy the R52.<br>
Just let me make clear my ideas about the fan, just to be sure I've
understood it correctly. Please review them and make comments as you
like.<br>
* A know problem/feature on the R52 is that the fan is always on. This
is its normal behaviour and also happens when you run Windows.<br>
* It's not a Linux problem, it's only the default behaviour of the fan on t=
his model.<br>
* When we describe the problem as &quot;the fan is always on&quot; we're no=
saying that the fan is always on &quot;at full speed&quot;: both in Linux a=
nd
Windows, the fan is always on at low speed and it gains speed when
needed.<br>
* There is a script for Linux that I can use to completely stop the fan
at will (dangerous!), or automate it so it turns on and off based on
the temperature of the laptop. I can use it at my own risk.<br>
* This script is particularly a good idea on all Thinkpads to save batterie=
s.<br>
* Some people have complained about the fan noise on the R series, but
many more have not complained. In particular, a R51 user on this list
said that he was not annoyed by the fan noise as it's quiet.<br>
Thanks everybody for the help. Let's see if I lose my worries about the
fan and I decide to buy the R52 next week. If I do so, I'll add more
information about this model to the list and wiki.<br>
Jaime<br>
ef=3D"mailto:capitanplaneta@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return =
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">capitanplaneta@gmail.com</a>&gt;:</s=
pan>

d rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Thanks, I'll look on ebay but I prefer to buy it from a local shop, I know =
some in my city.<br>
Let's see if I make up my mind about the fan always on issue.<br>
Thanks!<br>
ow &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bwaldow@woosh.co.nz" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"=
return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">bwaldow@woosh.co.nz</a>&gt;:<=
/span>

d rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 02:24, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:<br>&gt; One more thing...lo=
I'm hanging this off Andr=E9's post, but it's for Jaime.<br><br>I've bought=
 both my Thinkpads off ebay.&nbsp;&nbsp;The T21 was being sold directly by
b - with a<br>year's warranty from IBM, and 3 years beyond that from MAC co=
mputers.<br><br>I bought in the US, but I live in New Zealand and, overseas=
, repairs are done
k for a vendor that's been a member for years, and is in the 98%+<br>positi=
ve ratings, and I read how they respond to the few complaints they've<br>re=
ceived.
t make sure to ask if<br>it's new and gets the full warranty, do I get a sa=
les receipt, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;PayPal<br>has some good guarantees for ebay pa=
yments these days too.
itanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>
jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>webs: <a href=3D"http:/=
/capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.O=
penExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>

il PUNTO com<br>jabber: capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org
 onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://capitanplaneta.blogspot.com/</a>

pit=E1n planeta<br>email: capitanplaneta ARROBA gmail PUNTO com<br>jabber: =
capitanplaneta ARROBA jabberes PUNTO org<br>webs: <a href=3D"http://capitan=
planeta.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank" onclick=3D"return top.js.OpenExtLi=
nk(window,event,this)">