[ltp] Fan always on problem... does it happen on R52 with the Intel Media Graphics card?

Paul Sladen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:20:57 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Jaime Iniesta wrote:
> I'm thinking about buying an R52. I was pretty sure that this was the
> laptop I needed but then I read about the "fan always on" problem

I've just got an ThinkPad R52 test laptop (i915 graphics), running it under
all the supplied Windows configurations, the fan appears to be permanently
on.

I would far prefer it to come at full speed for a minute and stay off for
the next ten.  I suspect now that it's bugging me I'll just have to find a
way to fix it...  *evil grin*.

With the screen down, ACPI reckons the machine is using about 15W, so it
should be possible to dissipate that amount passively.

	-Paul
--
The summer is normal here.  London, GB