[ltp] SXGA+ versus XGA resolution, any suggestions?

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:37:26 -0700

> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm deciding on getting a Thinkpad and have a question about the
> >difference between SXGA+ (1400x1050) versus XGA (1024x768) resolution.
>
> You know this *really* annoys me.  Who thought up this scheme of
> designating screen resolution with random letters?  What's wrong
> with just saying 1400x1050?  I look at the advertisements for laptops
> these days and have no idea of the screen layout.

Actually the letters arent' random, but stand for "super", "extended", and "ultra"

>From V.E.R.A. -- Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms (March 2005) [vera]:

VGA	Video Graphics Array (IBM)
SVGA	Super Video Graphics Array (VGA)
XGA	eXtended Graphics Adapter (IBM, PS/2)
SXGA	Super eXtended Graphics Adapter / Array
UXGA	Ultra eXtended Graphics Adapter (XGA)