[ltp] Thinkpad APM Support

Andrew Jesaitis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:18:21 -0600

honey@gneek.com wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Andrew Jesaitis wrote:
>
>> Second question.  Is there any reason to work to get acpi support
>> working rather than using the apm support on this laptop?
>

> Andrew - you should have no issue whatsoever getting hotkeys to work
> in acpi on a T41p - much better than apm, in my opinion.  Read the
> README included with ibm-acpi:
>
> http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/
>
> or probably on the webpage.  With recent 2.6 kernels, ibm-acpi is
> included by default - or you can download the latest version, 0.11
> for experimental features - see the webpage.
>
> If you download the tarball, you'll get examples of how to include
> /etc/acpi event and action files to enable keys.

So here's the weird thing... I tried to install the 0.11 drivers for
acpi support (did the whole, make; make install; modprode ibm_acpi
thing)... /proc/acpi/ibm/driver still shows that it is version 0.8.  I
figure oh well, it looks like most of the features that I need are
already on 0.8.  So I copy the scripts for the action and event folders
in /etc/acpi.  (I had previously written my own, but I thought that
maybe I had messed one of them up so I might as well try the ones
included with 0.11.  I then enabled the hotkeys using the echo enable >
/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkeys.  Then I restarted the acpi daemon.  I tried the
blank screen hotkey.  No dice. I also reconfigured the ./event sleep
script to call my (actually the niemueller) sleep script in ./action and
I didn't get it to work.  Any ideas??
Thanks,
Andrew